11 miles...only 2.1 more and we're there!
This weekend I flew to Las Vegas for one of my best friend's from high school's wedding. I arrived late Friday night and was attending wedding festivities in the morning and the evening on Saturday. Momma K knows the bride as well so we both attended and ate our fair share of cupcakes, sweets and Dippin Dots...as Momma K puts it "Well I'm going to run it all off in the morning so let's enjoy it now!"
We woke up at 6:45 to start our 11 miles and it was already close to 90 degrees outside!
Momma K had chosen a very hilly course that would include 6 miles of straight uphills to prepare us for Napa. As usual, I did not prepare properly for Las Vegas heat and dryness and was dehydrated before I even started my third mile.
When I was close to the halfway point I felt like something was not right. Momma K had driven the 11 miles and that is how she determined the length. I use the computer which I feel like is much more accurate. I was tired, 10 minutes behind where I should have been at mile 5 and my legs felt awful from the uphill...so I convinced myself that Momma K did not map the thing correctly. I KNEW that she had added an extra mile somewhere and instead of running 11 miles we ran 12.
I got home in the time it would take me to usually run 12.6 miles and felt confident that I had just run an extra 1.6 miles and that Momma K was wrong....unfortunately for me, Mom knows best. It was only 11.3 miles!
After that I knew something needed to change because I have been feeling weak for a few weeks and I have never overestimated distance that badly.
This week I have started cross training again, really focusing on staying hydrated and getting all of my nutrients and training smart. I feel much stronger and hopefully I will be able complete my 8 miler and finish it strong this weekend!
Hurrah for experience that get your butt in gear!
Yes, when I got in from the run, Cristin was already had already checked the computer mileagae saying "Mom it was 11.3 miles!" Not happy she had to run that extra .3 mile. She and I both felt wiped out by that run.
ReplyDelete