Monday, June 8, 2009

Running in the rain!

Yes it is a rare thing to rain in Las Vegas but Saturday I looked out and saw rain clouds above the mountains and thought "I may get rained on!" I also took my camera but unfortunately I need help downloading the pictures so they will be added later...just to visually share my long runs.




I headed out with rain clouds in the distance skies and as I started running up the Trails Park, it started to sprinkle. By the time I reached the top of my run, it was pouring, the streets were wet and I could hear the raindrops through my ear plugs and smell the rain! I love the rain...we only average about seven days of rain a year so it is something we desert rats enjoy when it happens. As I headed down the trail towards the gym the rain went back to a sprinkle. When I came out of the gym after running forty five minutes (3.5 miles on the treadmill) it had cleared up and they sky was blue! All in all it was a great run. This week I focused on running as much as possible using my best form and low and behold I did my 10 miles in 2 1/2 hours! That's fifteen minutes faster than last week (there were no clothing changes-ha)! I had three side aches but took Cristin's advice and just pressed on my side and let out big long breaths...and they went away! I stretched and ate protein when I came home. I felt great and didn't feel I needed to nap like last week! This week is a recovery week so it is back to an eight mile run on Saturday. I think I am heading in the right direction and hope to continue to increase my speed so I can beat a fifteen minute mile pace.

No comments:

Post a Comment