Thursday, July 23, 2009

Loading Up on Carbs and Inspiration

After we finished wine tasting we headed to the race Expo to pick up our packets and timing chips.

From there we went to the team meeting where Jason gave us some last minute tips and Breanne handed out awards, including Best Mentor which obviously our mentor Jackie receieved.
Then we went over to a huge field..I mean huge, this thing fit 800 people and loaded up on some delicious pasta, cookies and bread.

I didn't get this shirt at first...it's a colon...we have chron's and colitis which affects people's colons...HAHAHAH
We found the thirteenth mile marker and the finish line :)
Our fabulous mentor and the group at the party.



I was skeptical about the Inspirational Pasta Party at first because I was like alright, I'v got the disease I'm not exactly inspired by other people who have it (I know I'm a brat right) but this totally changed my mind.

Momma K and I were both in tears by the end...Baby Chicken, as you saw from the pictures was sleeping by the end, I guess that's what we get for bringing a brooding teenager to get inspired.

The key note speaker was a 15 year old who has just been diagnosed and hearing him talk about his struggles really brought me back to when I was diagnosed and how the four people with me were the support that brought me through to where I am now. After he spoke he gave out the awards for biggest fundraisers and the person who won first place was his dad with $40,000.

They also gave out a research award to a scientist who is doing some complicated thing (Ms. Pappas our resident biologist actually knew what he was talking about) that when boiled down means that he found something that eliminated colitis in rats...next stop...humans!

It was so nice to really bring it home as to why we are doing this and remember that it's not over with this race.

Inpiration + Carb-loading= Fabulous :)

No comments:

Post a Comment