Friday, March 20, 2009

Saturday Training

Last weekend was the first group training that Alex and I attended (This post is a little late but I was waiting on pictures!)

We met up with the group on a very chilly and very windy Saturday morning at 9 am. There were about 20 of us that decided to brave the cold and come out to train so we stretched as a group, were told our route and were sent on our merry way.

*The whole gang before everyone took off in their pacing groups:
Alex is in black on the far left and the girl with the blue jacket and black jacket in the middle were my pacing buddies*

*Alex smiling for the camera*

It was an easy four mile double loop around Crissy Field, which is an old airfield right by the bay. It is a gorgeous run because you get to be distracted by Alcatraz, the military houses, the Golden Gate Bridge, the San Francisco sky line and it's completely flat!

We all started with the pack and then people started to get in their pace and meet new people who are also running at that pace. My pace is a 9-10 minute mile and I met two girls at the same pace. We chatted the whole way and just like that....four miles down!
*Christina and I on our last lap*

Since I am still on the Salt Lake City marathon schedule (less than one month left!) I needed to run 9 miles, so after our four were finished I needed to keep going for five more.


*Off to run 5 more miles*


I kept running, up Crissy Field to the bridge, over the bridge and back. The wind was brutal but I had so much energy and wasn't tired physically or mentally so I booked it! I didn't stop and sprinted part of the bridge and made it back for a total of 1 hr and 25 minutes (faster than race pace!).

It might have helped that I had this to look at the whole time:


Hurrah for group running and the beautiful city of San Francisco!

1 comment:

  1. There is no such thing as an easy four mile run...and for sure no easy nine mile run...regardless of what you are looking at! Side note-I have been training for almost a month and I still say the easy part is the warm up for me that's 15 minutes walking slowly. After that it's all a mind set and a huge one at that!

    ReplyDelete