
That is the text I sent Alex tonight.
She responded with.. "That's why I never go".
This is why I love her. Full of witty responses that get me through this ridiculously busy schedule and training days. Momma K is full of motivation and praise and most of you know her so I talk about her a lot on the blog and of course...it's her blog too. However, I am also running this race with my best friend of years and years...Ms. Pappas. Momma K is my source of motivation and Alex is the one I commiserate with...sore ankles, calves, legs and stomachs....a late night splurge of carbs when we need it most...or just to infuse some humor in situations that are so un-funny it hurts. I think everyone needs both a Momma K and an Alex in their lives. I don't go a day without thanking god for these relationships and for sending me these two. Yet I digress.
I am running along on my treadmill tonight not paying attention to much and trying to keep myself from peaking under my towel that is currently covering mileage and time elapsed when something strange happens.
A middle aged man went to sit against the pole right in front of me and sort of missed it and fell and hit his head on an elliptical machine. The guy on the elliptical stopped and a few people went to go help him. I, like most of the people there assumed he was fine with everyone gathered around so we couldn't see.
A few more minutes went by and I continued running as did 6 or 7 other people....then some of the ones with a better view started to slow down so I decided that would be the nice thing to do, I didn't want to be bouncing around if someone was really hurt. I took out my headphones and heard the fallen guys wife start crying and noticed he hadn't moved.
The 24 hour fitness staff was downstairs by that point (there are two gym levels, cardio is at the bottom) and crowding around. By this point it was just me and some other crazy hard core guy that had been on the treadmill for longer than I had that were still walking. So we stopped. As we are all sitting there staring...the guy starts to convulse. Then...he start to scream....LOUDLY! Everyone started freaking out but the staff held everyone back from helping.
Then it stopped. He just lay there.
The staff at this point freaked out and cleared everyone out of the gym. As we were all walking out we saw three of four ambulances and a fire truck coming through the parking lot.
I have no idea what happened to the guy but I hope he made it through.
As I was driving home tonight I remembered how lucky I am to be able to run, let alone run 13.1 miles in a row. I am lucky to be breathing and functioning. I am so lucky for my health, regardless of my medical history and Crohn's.
Thank you all for supporting us in our efforts to stay healthy ourselves by committing to this training schedule and for helping us to raise money so that others can be healthy too.
....and if anyone was at the Pleasant Hill 24 Hour Fitness at 7 pm tonight and knows what happened...give me an update!
No comments:
Post a Comment