Sunday, April 19, 2009

13.1

Yesterday was the Salt Lake City Half Marathon.

4:45 a. Wake up and cry a little inside because I only got 4 hours of sleep. Turn on lights and see banana left by my very wonderful friend Cami and smile.

4:50 a. Go to bathroom, frantically change and put hair up, grab water, banana, phone, bib, stretching band and shoes and run out the door.

4:51 a. Go outside to the pathfinder that my other very wonderful friend Petey left me to drive on race day. Get inside the car and immediately start laughing. He has an immaculate car and about 20 (not exaggerating) air fresheners on his gear shift.

5-6 a. Drive. I was staying in Provo so I needed to make the 1 hr trek to SLC...and Lady GaGa and Britney kept me awake and excited for the race.

6-6:35 a. Get very frustrated at SLC one way streets and finally find parking and get on the tram to the race start.

6:35-7 a. Ride tram. Laugh again as I go to put on my race bib with the paul frank pin and various other shapes that Cami has given me as we could not find any safety pins at home (this is a house full of sewing women, I was shocked!)

7 a. Stand in 3 hr (or 15 minute) bathroom line while I hear the race start without me and the guy in front of me chats me up. Under normal conditions I would have been nice to this man but it was cold, I had missed the start and I had to go to the bathroom.

7:15 a-10:16ish a. Run. Water. Sports Jelly Beans. Run. Water. Jelly Beans. Run.

10:16ish.- Police sirens and escort come up behind me. Everyone starts screaming loudly as I start sprinting to the finish. TV cameras are all set to record. I cross the finish line. The crowd goes wild. I look to my right. A very fit Kenyan man is standing there. Much to my surprise the crowd was not going wild for me but for the man who just ran the marathon in the time I ran the half. We crossed the finish line at the EXACT same time. I turn to him and say "Congratulations", he says "Congratulations" back. :)



10:17ish. I look to my left. I see two tall thin attractive men in black shirts. I look a little harder and they are BIGGEST LOSER shirts!!! Dane and Blaine ran the SLC half marathon with me! Woo hoo!!!

After run - Drive home. Shower. Cami makes me a delicious wrap for lunch. Cams, Benita, Megan and I get frozen yogurt. Petey makes me a wonderful dinner. Movie. Ice. Water. Ice. Sleep.

Overall my race went really well. I was well hydrated and my body felt great. I finished in around 2 hours and am waiting to see my final time.

It was so nice to be surrounded by friends that know me and love me for my preparation and after the race. All the little things that made me smile throughout the day made all the difference in my attitude and in my race.

Thank you Cams and Petey!
*Sidenote: A special congratulations to Megan who ran the full and ran it in 4 hours!!!! 13th in her age division!*

Hurrah for half marathons!


1 comment:

  1. congrats girl! you're adorable, and you did awesome!! I'm so proud of you :)

    ReplyDelete