Monday, April 20, 2009

Personal Record: Salt Lake City Edition


2:05:05

I know I should be humble and say my time like it's not a big deal but I just got the official race time in and I AM EXCITED!!!

I am however, excited with good reason. Up until the SLC half, my best time was 2:13:28 in Las Vegas in December 2008. This was my first race and I have run 3 since then, THREE! I didn't even come close the last two times. I was sick for the San Francisco and had some knee problems in Austin. Even with these issues, I was beginning to think that my Las Vegas time was a fluke. It was my first race, it was in my home town, it was a flat course, gorgeous running weather, running down the Strip so lots to distract me and to look at and of course I had my whole family at the finish line waiting for me. All of these things combine to make a race MUCH easier.

So...needless to say, I was bummed for a few months, especially after my time in San Francisco came in at 2:20:02...a 10:41/mile pace and my time in Austin got worse at a 2:23:57. With my goal pace being 10 min/mile, I was very disappointed to see these times.

After I got over the February races, I started training again, and I started training HARD. I was in the gym every day I was supposed to be and I cross trained when I needed to. I even grabbed weights after my runs and did some strength training, even if I had just ran an 11 miler. I ate much better, paid attention to my body and "trained smart". While I was doing all of these things I didn't expect amazing results. I was planning on using SLC as a gauge to how my progress was going and to hopefully see results for Napa..but guess what?

I saw results now! Results that gave me a 9:32/mile !!!!!

Hurrah for training and for it paying off!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment